Tuesday, May 28, 2013

On blogging, link ups and writing.

It has been over two months since I last posted on this blog. I wouldn't say that I had been too busy to compose a post, because I have not. I just... I kinda lost interest, somehow.

My last few posts had been about cooking. It was a fun project. I still like cooking to this day, I still like taking pictures of food, although not as frequent. In fact I've posted quite a number of said pictures in my facebook. Posting on facebook and making short comments about it feels very easy to me. Plus I can get immediate response from my friends within minutes, which made it that much more fun. Same goes to posting any picture for that matter.

But making posts for the blog started to feel like a chore. I don't have a lot of audience on this blog, and so everytime I felt the need to link up to numerous linky parties to get people to see my post, and hopefully like them and leave comments. At some point it was like I was posting for the sake of getting people to visit my blog. It was like blogging for the sake of blogging. It was getting exhausting, and it was getting less fun.

Before facebook and twitter and blog parties and such, blogging used to be a medium of expression to me. It was not about getting visitors and comments. It was just me, putting a piece of myself out there, regardless of what people think. Regardless if people saw it at all.

And so I just stopped blogging for over 2 months. Until yesterday.

Someone posted a link on twitter about Medium. I clicked on the link and found my self in a world of writings. I signed up, and even though I've not been invited to write there, I found myself clicking through the posts. Some are intriguing short stories, some are techy, some about plain old cooking, even some short smut stories ;). It was a bit of everything, but it was all about writings. Putting words into sentences into paragraphs that are enjoyable to read.

And it hit me. I miss writing.

Over the years, as I become more and more involved in the world of social media, I actually have become more restrained. Whereas in my early days of twitter, for example, I would just blurt out words, nowadays I found myself typing something and then erasing them. I guess the same goes to blogging.

How I miss writing.

The thing is, I often find that my long writings... or ranting if you will, comes from that darker place inside me. And that place is not exactly a pretty picture. Who wants to read about complains after complains?

At least that's how I feel when I look at facebook and twitter. There are people whose posts are mainly about complains, dissatisfaction, unhappiness. "Galau" as Indonesians call it. And often enough I became bored reading them, cos it wasn't even amusing anymore. So one day I told myself that I will not be one of those social media "galau" people. Well allright, nobody can be happy all the time, doesn't mean you have to be "galau" all the time, no?

Although I must admit some of my favorite bloggers write from that inner darkness, but they write in a way that were insightful, often funny and amusing, and most of all, relatable. And I wish I were one of those writer-bloggers.

Haha, again this post is turning into a glob of rantings. But this is how I feel right now. I want to write more. Not just posting pictures, but actually putting words in a post. And if it means not blogging for months, then so be it.

I still love taking pictures, I still love cooking. I probably will still post about them more than often. But every once in a blue moon, I would like to just write.


4 comments :

  1. ahaha..same goes to me.

    When I was thinking to start blogging I always wonder for what sake am I blogging for?

    now I start doing it, as much as it's addicting it's also sometimes feel like a chore just as you said...but then I reviewed my writings n I realize that I like it. My own writings.

    So, I think I will keep on doing it, writing, at least for myself to read (am I narcissist or somethin?:p)but still I also try to promote them, just for sharing. Will I get more spectator, comment...that is my bonus^_*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus
    i came to ?return the favor?.I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    my page view homepage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think we all go through these same thoughts on a weekly basis but there's a reason we come back & continue. I totally agree the additional social medias are a pain & have considered dropping them several times myself! Glad to have found your blogs! I can't imagine keeping up with 2! Yikes
    :) Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules! Yeah, I don't know how a lot of people keep up with being so active in all the social media. As for myself keeping up with 2 blogs... well I haven't given a lot of love to this blog in months, so yeah, not really keeping up, hahaha :D

      Delete