Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Newbie Cook #1: Potato stuffed zucchini

Hey all, it's the first post of my Newbie Cook project!

Before I go into the cooking stuff, let me just say that if anything, taking pictures while cooking can be tricky. For one thing, I found that when I'm cooking, my hands can get a bit messy or even greasy... so grabbing camera in the middle of it is a bit of a hassle :p. Another thing is that sometimes I got into the cooking so much that I completely forgot to take pictures at all. Or when I'm doing something that cooks pretty fast like stir fry, there's really not much time to pause and grab camera and take picture. So even though I cook almost every afternoon, so far only a few of my cooking process got a more detailed pictures.

I also wish to take nice pictures that really makes the food looks good, not just some shaky underlighted pictures. And that is a challenge on its own, especially when I'm in a rush. I applaud those food photographers who makes those beautiful mouth watering pictures. Well, one more thing to improve for me!

Allright, onto cooking. I'm posting something I made actually a couple of weeks ago before I really set my mind on doing the Newbie Cook project: Potato Stuffed Zucchini.

The idea came from K, because we wanted to cook potato but we were bored with just regular boiled potato. K came up with the idea to have potato on zucchini, and I looked up for recipe. So if you're looking for recipe, my potato stuffed zucchini was based on this recipe with a bit of inspiration from this blog.

Here it goes!

Basically while the potato is cooking, I cut the zucchini in half and made "boats" by scraping the insides. It's pretty fun thing to do, really ;).



Next to cooking the potato and making the boat, I quickly sauteed some onions, garlic and meat. When the potato is done, I put them together and make mashed potato. Oh, in case you're wondering, that big apparatus is a potato masher. I swear I'd never seen such thing until I came to Netherlands the first time! :P My mom would just use a cobek (Indonesian mortar and pestle) for anything that requires 'mashing', hehehe.


Next step: fill up the boat!


Then add the diced tomato - cheese - bread crums topping.


Pop in the oven for like 30 minutes.


And voila! Ready to serve! :). Hmmm, the last picture doesn't look to appealing, right? Need to work on presentation a bit :P.


This recipe is pretty fool proof, imho. I mean even a beginner like me can pull it off. And K enjoyed the dish a lot.

A traditional Dutch dinner is usually boiled potato, boiled veggie and some kind of meat. I learned that through countless dinners at K's parents' ;). And this dish still has those traditional elements, with a bit of a twist! Yum yum!

Okay, have a nice meal!

Sharing with : What I Ate Wednesday,

White Lights on Wednesdays

8 comments :

  1. When I first saw this picture I thought it was sushi, but now it looks like a healthy version of sushi. I'm definitely going to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... not sure if potato is all that healthy, but then again sushi rice can be packed with calories ;). Both taste delicious anyway! Thanks for visiting :).

      Delete
  2. I love stuffed zucchini, never thought of the potato but it sounds delicious! I bet I could even get my Hubby to like zucchini this way! We would love it if you would link up at our new linky party: Two Girls and a Party Hosted by:
    Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up to the party, thanks for the invitation!

      Delete
  3. I have never seen this type of recipe before. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, pretty easy! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. This is an amazing recipe, I cant wait to try it. Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete