Thursday, August 30, 2012

Me & My Batik #12 : Lurik

Lurik is a type of (traditionally) handwoven fabric originated from Central Java. The trademark of this fabric is the simple striped pattern in earthy colors, although nowadays it comes in many variety of bright colors, and some even have a batik-like pattern on it.

This particular fabric had been sitting in my closet since early last year, because I really couldn't figure out what to do with it. The fabric was a gift from my mom, and quite frankly I wouldn't have picked it for myself.


I finally found this dress design somewhere in the internet and thought that it might work for the fabric. So I took the fabric and the design to my usual dressmaker. At first I was doubting if it's possible, because the fabric is a bit short, but after some discussion he said that he can do it.


And here's the end result. I wore this at the welcome dinner during the usual bilateral meeting in Penang, Malaysia. I had to wear a bandeau top underneath because it was showing too much cleavage for such event ;). Hehehe, I don't know why the dressmaker decided to cut it so low on the chest... maybe he simlply ran out of fabric :D.


Btw, the lady in the picture is Madam Hasidah from the Malaysian delegation. She's such a sweet lady, and I think she was wearing Baju Kurung made from Malaysian batik. I mentioned quite some time ago how Malaysian batik in general uses brighter colors and more abstract design, quite interesting actually :).

Sharing with:

pleated poppy

1 comment :

  1. Batik designs are often so pretty--I love that you got your batik cloth made into a dress!

    ReplyDelete